Sunday, July 5, 2015

Restarting the Blog

I have decided to restart this blog. It's been about a year since I last posted anything, but what the hell. Maybe this time it'll work. And it'll be nice to start writing again.

In the interim, the time since we last spoke, I GMed a couple GURPS campaigns, and decided that I really really don't like skills-based systems. What I discovered was that they're great for single-shot adventures or short campaigns where the characters are fairly static, but that when it comes to actual character growth through gameplay, it is way way too easy for a character to become incredibly good at doing a thing in a short amount of time, whether that thing is shooting rifles or seducing the ladies or whatever. I know, I as a GM could easily put the brakes on that by only allowing a single point in any skill to be purchased at a time, and maybe that's what I should have done. But playing GURPS got me thinking about D&D, and about how they really do have the character progression mechanic worked out.

I still don't like Hit Points. And I still think classes are restrictive. But I'm willing to live with it.

So I convinced my group to try D&D 5th Edition again, with me as DM, running a modified Dragonlance campaign. But there aren't Dragonlance 5th Edition rules, I hear you say. Yeah, that's true. So here comes the kitbash, the homebrew, the make-it-up-as-you-go-along and hope it's fun.

And of course the drinks. Drinks all around for everyone. And then they can just get fuzzy-headed and never know when their DM makes a mistake. Because drunk gaming is the best gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment